From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any experience with swapfiles?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 20:34:14
1 On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have two machines with 4GB of ram and I've never seen either one use
3 > swapspace (yet) so I'm thinking I could delete my swap partitions and
4 > substitute a much smaller swapfile -- if it's safe.
5 >
6 > Any downside to using a swap file instead of a swap partition, maybe
7 > depending on which filesystem you use, or something?  Security holes?
8 > Any horror stories out there?
9
10 I think a swapfile cannot be used for suspend-to-disk. When creating a
11 swap file you should take care to ensure it is not fragmented.
12 Otherwise, performance should be equal between swap partition or swap
13 file under normal circumstances, as far as I know.