From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 04:37:47
1 How is it that the baselayout has changed and now the domainname script
2 is missing from /etc/init.d and all sorts of other ramifications because
3 of this?
4
5 It makes very little sense to ditch the unix norm of setting a
6 systemwide domain name in favor of doing it per interface! Now I see
7 that I have to set domainname in /etc/conf.d/net and that the domainname
8 program returns "(none)". A lot of software is affected by this and I
9 am frankly stunned by the fact that this was just "plopped" into stable.
10
11 What a beauty to see at the login promp:
12
13 Linux(MyHost.unknown_domain)
14
15 Yeah .. that is reassuring to the users.
16
17 Tom Veldhouse
18 --
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list