From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:08:05
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/28/2014 06:45 PM, Martin Vaeth wrote:
5 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Many defaults gentoo sets do not have anything to do with
8 >> default codepaths upstream has tested.
9 >
10 > I disagree: The USE-enabling in ebuilds usually follows upstream.
11 > IIRC there was even a policy for gentoo developers which strongly
12 > suggested this.
15 I don't know of any and I strongly disagree with that concept.
16
17 >> As above, our defaults are not necessarily following upstream
18 >> recommendations/defaults. Apache alone should make you think
19 >> about that claim.
20 >
21 > I never installed apache. However, especially for packages for
22 > which the choice of algorithms has to be selected (USE-flags
23 > thread, jit) or of protocols/interfaces (openssl or gnutls, neon or
24 > other, sqlite or mysql, openvpn[lzo], qtgui[exceptions], mesa,
25 > freetype, wine), the installation of tools (utils, examples, tk,
26 > perl, python) or extensions (tls-heartbeat, introspection, X,
27 > readline) the defaults usually follow the upstream default or
28 > recommendation unless there is a severe reason not to.
31 No, they don't necessarily. There is no consistency about this. It's
32 up to the maintainer to decide "what most users will want". You want
33 upstream defaults, others want different things. The decision is made
34 individually. And profiles totally mess up that concept anyway.
35
36 What I was trying to say is: if you allow useflag combinations that
37 break the package (both in terms of build, runtime or _unexpectedly_
38 missing features) or break reverse dependencies in those same ways,
39 then it's a bug, a missing REQUIRED_USE constraint, a missing elog or
40 whatever.
41
42 The whole line of argumentation does not work out anyway, imo.
43 Thinking that the defaults from e.g. "./configure --help" are what a)
44 developers have tested most thoroughly and b) users of other distros
45 like debian, ubuntu etc run... is simply an assumption. Debian rather
46 goes for enabling whatever they can enable.
47
48 Besides that... I run stable arch. And when I have a package that has
49 severely broken runtime behavior with many useflags disabled (except
50 for the features I expect to be disabled), then something went
51 horribly wrong during stabilization.
52
53 If we support disabling all useflags on package level (and we do),
54 then we support disabling all on global level as well. All
55 _unexpected_ breakage that occurs due to that are ebuild bugs that
56 have incorrect dependencies or missing REQUIRED_USE constraints.
57
58 Defaults are just a usability thing, nothing more.