From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] (Maybe OT) Status of Globespan chipset USB ADSL modems support
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:23:14
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm going to setup an old box for a friend of mine that has ADSL
4 connectivity but for some month won't have a PC to use with it (she has
5 to buy a laptop, but she's out of Euros,now).
6
7 So I thought to take some of the rusty old boxen I have at home, throw
8 out Linux on it (still don't know if Gentoo of something else...they're
9 quite old (<400 MHz, 64-128 Mb RAM) ).
10
11 The problem is: she already had an USB ADSL modem, a Nortek Jet ADSL
12 2021. It is a Globespan chipeset modem. Having her buying an Ethernet
13 router or something is out of the question (otherwise I'd already do
14 it). By STFG, I'm quite confused by the current status of support of
15 this chipset.
16
17 On one side, I have found that it's supported by eciadsl. On another, it
18 seems to me all references to how to setup USB modems on Linux are quite
19 outdated (2004 or 2005). The last "news" on the eciadsl site are of a
20 bit less than one year ago.
21
22 I wonder: has the support for ADSL modems powered by Globespan chipsets
23 entered the kernel? At which revision? Do they work out of the box?
24 Which howto should I follow?
25
26 Also, any other suggestion about setting up these old boxen for my
27 friend is welcome :) .
28
29 Thanks,
30 m.