From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] etho app rating 10/100 etc in megabytes
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 02:04:46
1 Harry Putnam <reader <at> newsguy.com> writes:
5 > But still, when I'm trying to measure how much data is moving
6
7 emerge bwmon,
8
9 It measures across the ethernet ports, so adjust your test,
10 according to what you want to measure, crossing the ethernet
11 port on the target system.
14 > and it seems quite slow for what is supposed to be a gigabyte network.
15
16 Gigabit ethernet rarely runs full out constantly, something, (ram, cpu,
17 interface, swith-latency....) mucks things up. Do not let your "copper"
18 get to long either!
21 > gigabyte switch
22 > | |
23 > | |
24 > (192.168.0.9) h4 h5 (192.168.0.17)
25
26 > But also if I should be expecting h4 h5 to be able to use GigaByte
27 > transfer speeds.
28
29 Some fraction say 50% is good, if it is copper, unless the systems
30 are smoking "gaming" systems or of very high quality resources.
31
32 emerge iotop (then rebuild kernel)
33
34 Rebuild your kernel to use "iotop" and see what happens. You may need
35 to tweak your kernel parameters to optimize IO operations.....
36 (just gessing here)....
39 hth,
40 James