From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting Question...
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:08:29
1 On Dec 20, 2007 10:31 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Unlike commonly perceived wisdom I don't think that LVM is a panacea for all
3 > ills, or a necessity as such. It is however bloody convenient, especially on
4 > a growing fs. A server that is not expected to change much in size, probably
5 > does not need it. On the other hand some servers (file, mail, news servers)
6 > are bound to continue to accumulate data and their fs will increase in time.
7 > I would argue that the former type of server can happily live in a few primary
8 > partitions + 1 extended with a number of logical partitions, if you are going
9 > for a multi-partitioned scheme, while the latter type of server will greatly
10 > benefit from LVM. Of course, if hard drive redundancy is necessary, then I
11 > can't see how you could live without LVM + RAID.
12
13 I understand you on "LVM is not a must for very stable servers", but
14 since I can't see any good reason not to use LVM, I see no reason to
15 limit your abilities to extended partitions. We have the opportunity
16 to be more flexible with LVM, why should we not get it ? To loose the
17 ability to extend a partition by adding a new HD without any pain ? I
18 mean, if you don't know how to use it, I understand that you may skip
19 installing a LVM system, but when you did it once, I see no reason to
20 install your new systems without. So, I am interested in your advice
21 about LVM is not the universal solution for partitions management,
22 since I am sure I have something to learn from you experience.
23
24 Gal'
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list