From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Corruption of scp'd files
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:13:04
1 I am struggling to understand why this problem occurs:
2
3 I scp a number of binary files (e.g. videos) from box A to box B. I have
4 bz2'd them beforehand. At box B I run bzip2 -tv file.bz2, which reports that
5 all is OK.
6
7 Then I run bzip2 -dv file.bz2 but it tells me that some of the contents have
8 been corrupted. Fair enough, I run bzip2recover which runs its CRC checks
9 and does not report anything being wrong. So, I know run bzip2 -tv
10 rec00*file.bz2 and it finds a number of files with "data integrity (CRC)
11 error in data".
12
13 I run bzip2recover on box A and scp afresh copies of the affected rec00*
14 files. Some of the rec00* files seem to be copied without further
15 corruption, but one or two report again corruption (on box B only).
16
17 Unable to understand why this is so, I decide to use vanilla ftp to another
18 box (in a data center this time) to copy over the same files from box A.
19 Then run ftp get from box B. bzip2 -tv shows no more corruption (although
20 this is not universal - some files still show corruption when tested on box
21 B).
22
23 My ISP applies traffic shaping (especially on the obscure ssh port that I have
24 chosen for the transmission) so some packets may be dropped, but this does
25 not explain why ftp occasionally works. Can you explain why this seemingly
26 random corruption occurs? Can I trust bzip2 and its CRC tests?
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick