From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:02:27
1 Mike Myers <fluffymikey <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Hi! I know I don't post here much but I read it a lot and have been using
5 Gentoo for several years now. I keep seeing users mention about how they do an
6 update and then everything goes to crap. I've experienced this myself quite a
7 bit too. I believe the reason this happens is the drawback one of Gentoo's
8 nicest features; constantly being up to date.
11 Hello MIke,
12
13 Folks probably will not like my suggestions, but it works
14 in lieu of a better schema, so aplogies to all I offend, in advance........
15
16 Gentoo servers (firewall, dns, mail, web ...) rarely suffer from these
17 issues, in fact, I believe one of gentoo's largest unexplored niches
18 should be Large Installation System Administration (via cfengine).
19
20 So, in my opinion, where Gentoo is really challenged, is the workstation
21 (laptop, desktop....). You know the X11 + kde/gnome software boxen.
22 What I do is keep one (workstation) system
23 on the bleeding edge (very frequent upgrades) so as to discern
24 where breakage or unecessary updates are looming. Since I admin an ever
25 expanding hoarde of gentoo based servers and workstations, development
26 of some tools to compile, distribute and manage the various x86 and amd64
27 machines we have, is way past due. As soon as I have a scheme I'm
28 happy with, we'll be deploying lots of embedded gentoo based systems.
29
30 So I update the test workstation on fridays, use it over the weekend a
31 nd then update the other systems. Granted, if the devs release something
32 (broken) over the weekend, I get screwed with this scheme sometimes.
33 I should update the test system daily (in the mornings) and then
34 update the other systems on the same day after that.
35
36 Problems with that scenario is the various methods of proxying the
37 downloads and syncs are problematic in and of themselvs, not very
38 often, but still bad enough to make those current schemes, less
39 than desirable. Futhermore, DistCC is still a 'work in progress'
40 and I've experience just enough hassle that it has been disabled
41 (also due in part to so many different variants of x86).
42
43 Long story short: Gentoo is the best distro for our work, as one only
44 has to installed debian, suse, or redhat for a week or two, to realize
45 just how spoiled you get with Gentoo. That said, I've learned to be
46 cautious and patient with key software upgrades on Gentoo. However this
47 approach burns lots of extra time. My hope is Gentoo will continue to
48 improve and become more of a 'production' distro, as the other Linux
49 distros all seem to have unacceptable flaws, for our needs.
50
51 Future:
52 What is really needed is a group of users, with similar needs, to define
53 commonality of core applications that are essential to the needs: What
54 this means is a list of software, for example openoffice, kde-meta, apache,
55 java, perl, python, C, etc. that forms a core of what we all need (not what
56 we want). Then set up cfengine to push binaries, via a trusted mechanisms,
57 to each of the arch categories) Maybe on a weekly basis. Each
58 network, business or usergroup, would use their test system for 24 hours
59 as a quarrantined update, before pushing to the rest of their machines.
60 Or maybe push sources that are know good, to the test server at each
61 participating location.
62
63 If fact what the one (initially) master server environment sets up
64 uses, could be duplicated at any remote location with a group of systems.
65 Individuals could feed (download binaries) from those locations, with
66 the proper security mechanisms agreed to. If a group of locations
67 with multiple systems use a common update semantic, then it would be
68 a lot less work, as opposed to each cleaver admin, rolling their own
69 solution..... If something actually worked reasonable well, talented
70 admins could offer this service to commercial clients, thus generating
71 excitement about gentoo, and funding for many needy geeks.....
72
73 If you only have one or 2 gentoo sytems, something like this is not worth
74 the effort. For those of us looking to manage dozens to hundreds of
75 gentoo based systems, the need for some management scheme, is long overdue.
76 JFFNMS goes a LONG way to solving the problem, but, it is not
77 centric to the needs of gentoo systems. A companion project
78 that addresses all of those gentoo_centric issues could compliment
79 JFFNMS and simultaneously created that quintessential opportunity
80 for Gentoo to really shine, compared to it's competition.
84 James
89 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list