From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A few questions on trying to install
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:56:09
1 On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Thank you for some thoughtful suggestions.
4 >
5 > I have just gotten a 500GB SATA drive, intending to back up all of my
6 > data. What I fear most about LVM is the possibility of losing the
7 > data somehow. I may be too yesterday, but I sense that ordinary
8 > partitions (at least "ordinary" to me) will be more portable. I may
9 > want to unpack my system, and carry my Drives with me.
12 So consider this: Virtually any system you will use these days that can read
13 ext2/3/reiser drives will also be able to use LVM volumes. If not, it can
14 easily be gotten to do so (via modprobe)
17 > I've been
18 > trying to work around the same /home/USER directories for several
19 > years. I have archived them from time to time when they have gotten
20 > too crazy. And (correct me if I'm wrong) I've become some kind of
21 > intimidated about using the same directory and username on a new
22 > install, so I generally end up copying all the pieces over.
25 nah, that's false paranoia.
26
27 cp, scp, rsync, chown, chmod. Used i the right combinations, will fix any
28 problems in this regard. They are just files after all.
32 > Outside of this possibly irrational fear that LVM mayn't be portable,
33 > I actually did delete an entire install once that was on LVM, but that
34 > was due to my own ignorance. I am no less ignorant now, but if my
35 > fears about portability can be allayed, I would be willing to try.
36 > And learn.
39 LVM is an old, old, old technology. Originally developed by IBM for their
40 mainframes. It predates that absurb concoction called "partition tables".
41 Apart from 640kB, that must rate as one of the worst screw-ups in computing
42 ever...
45 > Be that as it may, I have just cleansed my 74GB 10000RPM drive, and
46 > look forward to installing on this, and hanging various directories
47 > off of this. Assuming, for now, I am only going to be using some
48 > unexotic partitioning system, which partitions will be most
49 > advantageously situated on this fast drive? I am thinking along
50 > these lines:
51 >
52 > FAST PARTITION
53 > /
56 yes, keep this separate
57
58 /boot
61 good to keep this separate too
62
63 /usr/bin
64 > /usr/sbin
65 > /usr/local/
68 No, this is simply thick.
69 Maybe one could make a case for /usr/local, but /usr/bin and /usr/sbin were
70 usually separate on Unix several decades ago *purely because* disks were
71 small and it's a convenient way to split things up to fit on available
72 disks.
73
74 Just stick all of /usr on one volume and be done with it. You might want to
75 move /usr/portage and perhaps /usr/portage onto their own filesystem,
76 because those directories do have different usage patterns than everything
77 else in /usr
78
79 part of home with well-used files
82 ALL of /home.
83
84 Why split it up? You lose the very benefit of having /home separate - the
85 ability to update the entire system and guarantee that you won't stuff up
86 your personal files while doing it
87
88 /tmp?
91 /tmp benefits from being separate. If you have a lot of RAM, it really
92 benefits from being tmpfs rather than disk-based
93
94 I have a lot of ARCHIVED data that should be on a separate partition
95 > and this could be slow.
98 Good idea. It also lets you tar up an entire filesystem for backup purposes
101 Alan McKinnon
102 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com