From: Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What utility do you use to sync user files?
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 17:23:36
1 I've been using rsync to sync binary files, shell scripts, my
2 workspace, and random user files under my home directory across
3 multiple machines. I'm using one server as the master copy, which
4 makes daily incremental backups of my files to a separate disk with
5 rsync. At the moment, I have my sync script set up as a Makefile with
6 the following targets. I run this from multiple workstations.
7
8 It would be nice to use something as easy as svn, but many of my files
9 are binary. Or something like dropbox would be great. I don't work
10 from windows, so I don't need a cross-platform solution.
11
12 What utilities do you guys use? Is there a better way to do this? It
13 would be nice to move everything to the background, but I've already
14 clobbered a few files by calling this in the wrong order and might
15 move the Makefile to an interactive script to protect against that. I
16 have to call 'make clobber' after I remove a local file to push that
17 change to the server, and if I forgot to call 'make get' first, I have
18 to fix it manually.
19
20 -------sync makefile--------
21 get:
22 rsync -azOuvihh --progress -e ssh $(EXCLUDE) \
23 --delete \
24 $(HOST):$(SERVER_DIR) $(LOCAL_DIR)
25
26 put:
27 rsync -azOuvihh --progress -e ssh $(EXCLUDE) \
28 $(LOCAL_DIR) $(HOST):$(SERVER_DIR)
29
30 clobber:
31 rsync -azOuvihh --progress -e ssh $(EXCLUDE) \
32 --delete \
33 $(LOCAL_DIR) $(HOST):$(SERVER_DIR)
34 ------end-------
35
36 -------backup script--------
37 # if files are already there, hard link
38 # the last lines mark it as complete and move a soft link pointer
39 rsync -zavi --progress --delete \
40 --link-dest=$BACKUP_PATH/current \
41 $SOURCE $BACKUP_PATH/backup_part_$DATE \
42 && mv $BACKUP_PATH/backup_part_$DATE $BACKUP_PATH/backup_$DATE \
43 && unlink $BACKUP_PATH/current \
44 && ln -s $BACKUP_PATH/backup_$DATE $BACKUP_PATH/current
46
47 Randy