From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Binary chrome - is it safe in terms of dependencies?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:08:20
1 On 2013-01-31, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Yohan Pereira
5 >> <yohan.pereira@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On 30/01/13 at 11:09pm, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
7 >>>> Since Gentoo updates libraries very quickly, I'm wondering if it is
8 >>>> safe to use the binary version? Has anyone faced library breakages on
9 >>>> this?
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Chromium is easily recompiled with new libraries and you don't have a
12 >>>> broken browser, which won't really be the case with the binary
13 >>>> version.
14 >>>
15 >>> I've used the binary version (google-chrome) for a while and never
16 >>> had any breakages. I guess if there's a library update that could
17 >>> potentially break google-chrome the gentoo devs would add a blocker so
18 >>> you wont be able to install the 2 at the same time.
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> Or I can just bundle a copy of the necessary libraries, similar to
22 >> what I have done for libudev.so.0.
25 > Sounds good. I guess I'll switch to binary chrome then.
26
27 Also, I suppose that, if there were library incompatibilities, the
28 package would never go stable, or would at least, like Yohan said, lead
29 to a block/version dependency.
32 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
33 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/