From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 04:59:56
1 About a week ago, my Gentoo box was in a bad state where there were some
2 packages that would not install, so I was carefully emerging what I could
3 and filed a bug about one in particular that I could not emerge.
4
5 Then I got a new kernel, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7, and I booted from it. Eeeek. No
6 X11 at all.
7 The logs informed me about some things to do, and I did them, re-emerging a
8 number of things. I paid particular attention to emerging anything with x11
9 or xorg in its name.
10 Long wait.
11 I got to a point somewhere in there where X11 started, but would recognize
12 neither keyboard nor mouse.
13 I kept going. The keyboard started to work. I could actually log in, but
14 that's not all that useful without a mouse.
15 Then I started getting complaints about USE flags needed to make some
16 particular packages support some other packages. I did those too.
17 Now I'm at the state where "emerge -aDNvu" denies there's any work to do,
18 and revdep-rebuild reports health.
19 Still no mouse.
20 Fortunately, I have a laptop that can ssh into the box and I can work with
21 it, but it's still essentially headless.
22 Anybody run into this state recently?
23 If there's a quick fix, I'd rather not make another bug.
24 --
25 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD