From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Advice about ati-drivers? [50% SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:30:48
1 On 04/03/2012 04:28 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > You cannot use two drivers at once. Either use the kernel driver
4 > (which does KMS), or ati-drivers.
5
6 Thanks Nikos, that's the part that (apparently) the gentoo wiki
7 doesn't emphasize enough, because my googling has found dozens of
8 us confused gentoo Radeon users making the same mistakes over and
9 over. (And along the way I discovered that you've been saying the
10 same thing over and over :)
11
12 Just two more comments, now that I have the ati-drivers working:
13
14 First, I forgot to use eselect opengl to select the ati version
15 instead of the xorg version. That helped a lot :p
16
17 Second, although I realize now that I didn't need kernel drm
18 support in the first place, there is definitely a bug in the
19 drm kernel code somewhere. Even after I finally got the firmware
20 to load properly I still got a "EDID not available" error in dmesg,
21 and hence the black screen during boot.
22
23 A real problem was that the EDID error was not clearly flagged
24 as an error, so I overlooked it until I stumbled across a post
25 from years ago in this mailing list from someone who didn't miss
26 it. (Thanks to that person, who's name I've forgotten already.)
27
28 Now that I have the ati-drivers working I, of course, am losing
29 interest in kernel drm support and how to prod someone into
30 fixing it. Shame on me...