From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] motherboard/chipset drivers
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:28:43
1 On Nov 25, 2007 7:03 PM, <sprizes@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I am trying to compile a custom, static, & minimal, kernel ( please
4 > accept this for the sake of this email; dont flame me with how it is
5 > no longer necessary due to the modular nature of the kernel ) for my
6 > gentoo install. I am working with the 5000psl intel server board with
7 > the 5000p chipset
8 > (http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/5000p/index.htm). I have the
9 > following questions:
10 >
11 > 1) Where can I find the linux kernel HCL ( hardware compatilbility list )?
12
13 Here are a number of them (hardware compatability is usually not
14 distribution specific):
15 http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
16 http://en.opensuse.org/Hardware
17 You can find more here: http://www.linux-drivers.org/index.html
20 > 2) When I run make menuconfig, where do I go to choose the chipset I am
21 > using?
24 There usually is no such option. Setting CPU and accompanying features
25 should
26 be enough (in Processor type and features --->, Power management options
27 (ACPI, APM) --->,
28 and Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) ---> )
29 For other chips or components attached to your motherboard, look at the
30 output of lspci,
31 and make sure that you compile kernel support for what is listed there
32 (sata/ide driver, ethernet
33 card, etc.). Also build in your desired filesystem.
38 > I'd appreciate the help.
39 >
40 > SK
41 > --