From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] haldaemon
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:05:48
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:12 on Wednesday 17 November 2010, Philip
2 Webb did opine thusly:
3
4 > Some time ago, I removed Hal from my system with no problems.
5 > While adding 'mlocate' to /etc/group today,
6 > I noticed that many entries still have 'haldaemon' included.
7 > Is it safe to delete these ?
8
9 You can delete them safely with
10
11 userdel haldaemon
12 groupdel haldaemon
13
14 However, why bother? It's a system user and a group of the same name to which
15 several system users belong. The user and group own no files, are not
16 referenced in any security-related configs and as such, do nothing.
17
18 You likely also have an apache, postfix, adm and nobody system users which
19 also might not be in use. If you are happy leaving those in place, the same
20 would apply to haldaemon.
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com