From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop ATI Integrated Video Performance?
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:59:59
1 On 12/25/2007 9:49 AM András Csányi said the following:
2 > 2007/12/25, Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>:
3 >
4 >> I have a Gateway laptop with an integrated ATI graphics board. lspci
5 >> detects it as:
6 >>
7 >> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon
8 >> Xpress 1100 IGP]
9 >>
10 >> However when attempting to view a DVD at full screen, the display is a
11 >> bit "jumpy" as if the video hardware is not fast enough. Keeping the
12 >> video smaller in a window produces much better results. As you might
13 >> expect, the larger the video picture, the worse the jumpiness gets.
14 >> Results are the same with both Totem and VLC.
15 >>
16 >> I'm using x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.433 and have followed guides and
17 >> verified direct rendering is enabled (however I don't know if that
18 >> matters for displaying video).
19 >>
20 >> Is this the best I can expect for this video hardware? I can post my
21 >> xorg.conf if there's a possibility that some tweak will improve performance.
24 > Hi!
25 >
26 > I have this problem but i have another ATI inegrated card
27 > (01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon
28 > Xpress 200M])
29 >
30 > The solution is the next:
31 > - use fglrx (you have to test the 3D rendering with fgl_fglxgears command)
32 > - use mplayer with -vo gl or -vo gl2 option (the gl and gl2 is opengl
33 > video output)
34 >
35 I have fglrx and verified it works. I have not tried mplayer. Does
36 mplayer work better than other players?
37 > I hope i can help you.
38 >
39 > András
40 >