From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:06:44
1 On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am in the process of switching from the old rig to the new rig.  While
5 > doing the install I was using a Gateway EV700 monitor and it worked fine.  I
6 > unhooked the cables from my old rig and moved in the new rig.  The new
7 > monitor is a Gateway EV910.  When I boot with the Gateway EV910 hooked up,
8 > it doesn't even come out of power saver mode or show the BIOS screen that
9 > pops up when I first turn the puter on.  It does work with the one I used to
10 > install with, EV700.  So, I know the card didn't mess up in the switch.
11 >
12 > Since it doesn't even work with the BIOS screen, this is not a OS issue.  Is
13 > there some setting I have to change to be able to change monitors or am I
14 > just going nuts here?  What is it about hooking up a different monitor that
15 > makes it not work?   Both monitors support the same resolutions and I have
16 > switched these before with my old rig and not a single problem.
17 >
18 > What am I missing?  Some new feature that the video card remembers what
19 > monitor it is supposed to hook up to?
20 >
21 > Thoughts?  Fixes would be nice.
22 >
23 > Dale
24
25 Like old Bill C. said "I feel your pain."
26
27 I've got a newish Samsung 22" monitor I'm using on this computer. It
28 works great. However recently I tried reinstalling Gentoo on an older
29 Mac Mini. This same monitor, when attached to the Mac, would boot
30 Gentoo from the CD, showing text on the screen for about 10 seconds,
31 and then seems to go into some sort of power savings mode where the
32 text becomes so dim that you almost can't read it. I found in that
33 case I had to turn the lights off to see what the Gentoo install disk
34 was telling me to do. I figured out what I had to type to get yaboot
35 to boot, but it was a mess.
36
37 I never found a solution to this and just gave up as the Mac was too
38 slow. You might look for BIOS level power management stuff and see if
39 it's turning off or dimming the output?
40
41 Good luck. I feel your pain...
42
43 - Mark