From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] drive configuration changes on reboot; blkid.tab defeats UUIDs
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:47:20
1 On Monday 07 July 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > I decided to go with UUIDs in /etc/fstab. After a half-hour or so
4 > pfutzing around with these
5 > (how do you find the UUID of an unmounted partition when you're not
6 > even really sure
7 > what kind of filesystem it has),
8
9 blkid
10 part of e2fsprogs
11
12 > There's a file I never heard of or noticed before: /etc/blkid.tab,
13 > and a backup, that seem to
14 > override the UUIDs, putting us back in the world we were in before
15 > Labels and UUIDs.
16
17 It's just a cache, see 'man blkid'
18
19 You can safely delete it, or use 'blkid -c <filename>' to use a
20 different cache, or 'blkid -c /dev/null' to ignore it.
21
22 I suspect your troubles come down to mount using a blkid with data from
23 before your controller decided to go all postal on you
24
25 > 3) Can we just stop this madness somehow?
26
27 You could just use volume labels - a poor man's UUID scheme where you
28 get to invent your own unique names
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list