From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting default user environments in /etc/profile.d/
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 18:48:55
1 Stroller writes:
2
3 > Therefore I have created a plain text
4 > file /etc/profile.d/essential_defaults
5 [...]
6 > Yet when I log in, these environment variables are not set.
7 >
8 > The file is world-readable (mode 644), and I even tried setting the
9 > execute bit (`chmod +xxx`).
10
11 It needs to be readable by your user, more is not needed.
12
13 > If I source the file using `. /etc/profile.d/essential_defaults` then
14 > suddenly I get the right pager, but it does not seem to be sourced at
15 > login, as I believe is promised. What am I doing wrong or
16 > misunderstanding, please?
17
18 /etc/profile is sourced for login shells only. That happens when you log
19 in a text console, but usually not for a graphical terminal. As a KDE
20 user, I have set my Konsole's profiles to run '/bin/bash -l', this gives
21 me login shells. For xterm or aterm, you would use the '-ls' option.
22
23 Wonko