From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weather thingy using up my network, ALL THE TIME.
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:29:58
1 On Sunday 02 Sep 2012 12:41:51 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 > > The solution is to kill the kio_http that was running it. Use ps, top,
5 > > lsof as you prefer to find which PID you should kill.
6 >
7 > Well, I got annoyed beyond reason and just renamed the config file. Now
8 > all is quiet except for me surfing the web. ;-) I used ps and I
9 > couldn't figure out what process was running it. Then again, I wasn't
10 > sure what to look for either. o_O
11 >
12 > I lost my settings tho. :-(
13
14 Restore your settings from a back up.
15
16 Then 'ps axf | grep kio_http' (while you have all applications closed) and
17 kill that if it is still running.
18
19 Warning: I think that going back into the settings and running Search for a
20 weather URI will launch again a kio_http process and you're back where you
21 started.
22
23 > >> While I am at it. I'm supposed to get my weather stuff from NOAA or at
24 > >> least that is where it came from ages ago. Ever since I went from KDE3
25 > >> to KDE4, it wants to come from wetter.com which doesn't work to begin
26 > >> with. This is what I think it is doing to my network. It is trying to
27 > >> get data that doesn't exist to begin with so it just keeps trying.
28 > >> Anybody know how to beat this thing silly? By the way, using iftop,
29 > >> that is where all this traffic is going to.
30 > >
31 > > I am not sure if wetter.com is hardcoded somewhere. In my
32 > > .kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc I can see my BBC URI in the
33 > > weather applet settings, but nothing about wetter.com.
34 >
35 > I researched this a good while back and it appears that it is hard
36 > coded. Back in KDE3, I think it had some way of selecting what to
37 > connect to, depending on what country you are in I guess. Now, It's
38 > either wetter.com or nothing on my rig. From my vague recollection of
39 > others describing it, if you live in the USA, no weather updates. Since
40 > KDE4 seems to have broken it, maybe KDE5 will fix it. LOL
41
42 If you have your NOAA URI correctly set in your .kde4/share/config/plasma-
43 desktop-appletsrc it should go fetch the weather feed from there.
46 Regards,
47 Mick

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature