From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: boot error
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:21:51
1 On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:14:59 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > And how does that comment help the OP? Without a link to the list
4 > > archives, all it tells him is that he is not the first to experience
5 > > this.
6
7 > Well if the solution is so trivial, I wonder why the devs don't
8 > put the fix into the installation liveCD? The error can be
9 > due to a variety of problems.
10
11 Which makes it anything but trivial. That would imply a single, simple
12 change.
13
14 > > Results 1 - 11 of 11 from archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user for "not a
15 > > valid root device".
16
17 > I went to this site. I have not seen this site before. I do not see an
18 > interface for searching historical postings. Some enlightenment on
19 > searching out the postings would be appreciated.
20
21 I use Google to search it "search string site:archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user"
22
23 > Anywhy, even the handbook tells me to use a stage3 install tarball.
24 > HOwever, a stage 3 does not give one the opportunity to build a custom
25 > kernel. So my understanding is I'm going to have to use a stage 1
26 > tarball, which is not supported any more?
27
28 A stage 3 not only gives you the opportunity to build a kernel, it
29 requires you to do so (unless you use the live CD kernel which defeats
30 the object of using a customisable distro). Stage 3 only skips the
31 bootstrap and emerge system steps that take so much time with a Stage 1
32 install. I always do Stage 3 installs now, you can emerge -e system once
33 the system is running to apply your USE and CFLAGS customisations.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 The man who dies with the most toys is dead.