From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] transferring contents of /etc/conf.d to the config files
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:52:01
1 On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:33:52 +0200
2 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I have read several docs to figure out this...all docs do changes
7 > in /etc/conf.d but I found no hint how to transfer that settings
8 > to the "real" configuration files of the according programs.
9 >
10 > env-update & etc-update do not help...
11 >
12 > What tool do I have to call to acchieve this?
13 >
14 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
15
16 That's not how it works.
17
18 The files in /etc/conf.d are not "included" in config files at all,
19 they are arguments used when the app is launched.
20
21 For example, sshd:
22
23 SSHD_CONFDIR="/etc/ssh"
24 SSHD_OPTS=""
25 SSHD_PIDFILE="/var/run/sshd.pid"
26 SSHD_BINARY="/usr/sbin/sshd"
27
28 None of those items can go in sshd_config except maybe the pid file,
29 but that can be specified on the command-line.
30
31 The Gentoo init system reads conf.d and uses the info in it to
32 determine hwo to launch the app.
33
34 There is other stuff in /etc/conf.d not related to specific daemons,
35 but the same principle applies - the system reads the files and does
36 the appropriate thing at strat-up.
37
38 I believe you may have the intent of conf.d and env.d confused?
41 Alan McKinnnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com