From: "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User Community <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Notes for GNOME3 users who miss a desktop pager.
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 06:31:15
1 I've migrated my desktop to GNOME3, and miss a log of functionality.
2 Among the most annoying missing parts for me is a non-dynamic set of
3 virtual desktops and a pager applet to go with it.
4
5 I have found that the x11-misc/ipager app to be a useful replacement
6 along with gnome-tweak-tool.
7
8 The gnome-tweak-tool allows setting non-dynamic desktops, (Shell |
9 Dynamic workspaces -> Off, set the count of desktops you want.)
10
11 The ipager app can then be emerged and configured. Here is my
12 ipager.conf file:
13 ---------------------------
14 icon.spacing: 5
15 icon.min_width: 24
16 icon.max_width: 48
17 icon.min_height: 24
18 icon.max_height: 48
19 icon.maximize_threshold: 0.9
20
21 #
22 # IPager window position
23 #
27 # should IPager starts in slit?
28 ipager.in_slit: no
29
30 #
31 #
32 display_sticky_windows: no
33 display_shaded_windows: yes
34
35 # [ yes | no | mouseOver ]
36 display_window_icon: mouseOver
37
38 #
39 # Button to switch workspaces
40 #
41 #
42 # [ left | right | middle | any ]
43 # or
44 # set of buttons like:
45 # left, right
46 # middle, right
47 #
48 switch_workspace.button: any
49
50 #
51 mouse.scroll.up: nextWorkspace
52 mouse.scroll.down: prevWorkspace
53
54 #
55 # Delta (in pixels)
56 #
57 # when an workspace icon changes its size
58 # IPager compare new values and previous.
59 # If they differ less then 'zoom.recreate_icon_delta' then
60 # IPager continues to use an old icon and just zoom it.
61 # If the sizes differ more 'zoom.recreate_icon_delta's value,
62 # then IPager creates a new icon picture.
63 # it is not very efficient to create icons often.
64 #
65 zoom.recreate_icon_delta: 0
66
67 # Defines style of zooming icons. Should an icon spacing be expandig or
68 # an active workspace icon lays over other (cross them)?
69 #
70 # [zoomAndExpand | over]
71 #
72 zoom.type: over
73
74 display_workspace_number: no
75 workspace_number.color: #FFFF00
76
77 ttf_font_path: /usr/share/fonts/TTF
78 ttf_font: Vera/14
79
80 #
81 # Background image for IPager window
82 #
83 #ipager.background.image: /path/to/image.png
84
85 #
86 # Colors (#RRGGBB)
87 #
88 ipager.background.color: #00FFFF
89 ipager.border.color: #000000
90
91 workspace.background.color: #0000C0
92 workspace.border.color: #000000
93 active_workspace.background.color: #00FF00
94 active_workspace.border.color: #FFFFFF
95
96 window.background.color: #A47D73
97 window.border.color:
98 active_window.background.color: #F09029
99 active_window.border.color: #FFFFFF
100
101 selection_color: #FF0001
102 --------------------------------------------------------
103
104 This puts a static pager bar in the bottom-right of my desktop with
105 a cool blue feel. This spot is below where I stash the GKrellM panel.
106
107 It is not the most convenient configuration file, but it also has not
108 been worked on since Sep 2008.
109
110 You can also add ipager to the gnome-session-properties set.
111 The program live in /usr/bin/ipager
112 use "-c /home/<user>/<wherever you want>/ipager.conf" with the program.