From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xargs and rm funkiness
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 02:04:07
1 Running the command:
2
3 find -name *.ext | xargs -0 rm
4
5 I get the result:
6
7 rm: cannot remove `Long File Name One.ext\nLong File Name Two.ext\nLong File
8 Name Three.ext\n': File name too long.
9
10 (The actual list is much longer than this, of course, or I wouldn't be using
11 xargs.) For some reason, the \n isn't being recognized as a separator but
12 rather as a part of a single long file name. Don't think $IFS would affect a
13 command like rm but it doesn't appear to be the issue:
14
15 ddjones@merlin ~ $ set | grep IFS
16 IFS=$' \t\n'
17
18 I don't see any other ser variable which looks like a likely candidate to
19 cause the behavior. Anyone have a clue what's going on?
22 "Why assume so glibly that the God who created the universe is still running
23 it? It is certainly conceivable that He may have finished it and then turned it
24 over to lesser gods to operate." - H.L. Mencken