From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seek advice: converting Sabayon to Gentoo ?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:22:42
1 On Saturday 27 June 2009 02:28:59 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Perhaps I can just edit the existing /etc/fstab, using device names. The
3 > device numbering is inconsistent between GNU/Linux distros under the (what
4 > I presume to be) new scheme, with all devices names as /dev/sdX .
5
6 Default kernel names are like that deliberately. The driver assigns a unique
7 name in the order that devices are found, and the name depends only on
8 whatever the author decided to give it. If you use the modern ATA subsystem to
9 drive your disks, they get called sd*. The older drivers non-SCSI still call
10 disks hd*.
11
12 This way you get a naming scheme that is guaranteed to be unique, but with no
13 other guarantees whatsoever (not even consistency). It's the simplest thing
14 that could possibly work (and a very sane engineering choice actually).
15
16 If that doesn't suit your needs, you can customize it with udev rules, or
17 mount by device UUID, or mount by filesystem label.
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com