From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Preparing a shared USB stick
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 23:02:37
1 Hello,
2
3 Please consider a USB "stick" that is unformatted but is to be used by
4 multiple people/machines. Ideally your instructions will work for all
5 people/os/WM, but if necessary please assume that everyone is running
6 gnome under linux
7
8 1. How should I prepare this device so that it can be plugged into any
9 machine and will be writable by anyone? I suspect the answer will
10 involve words like fdisk, mkfs.xxx, mkdir/mount, chmod/chown. I'm
11 most interested in the chmod/chown part.
12
13 2. How can I prepare the device so that files/directories added by
14 people in the future will continue to be writable by anyone?
15
16 3. How can I ensure that all files will appear to have the same owner;
17 or, if this is not important, can you explain why it should not be a
18 problem.
19
20 And of course if you can refer me to a document that explains this I'm
21 happy to read it.
22
23 Thank you,
24