From: Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] chkrootkit LKM trojan ?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:33:32
1 HI, I have a potential security problem ...
2
3 and err its not on gentoo, its on ubuntu but I am not getting any response
4 there & you guys are the most tech bunch I know - Thought I would lay it on
5 the table :)
6
7 I just had an email from chkrootkit last night -
8
9 ---
10
11 The following suspicious files and directories were found:
12
13 You have 3 process hidden for readdir command
14 You have 3 process hidden for ps command
15 chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
16
17 ---
18
19 Running chkrootkit now and all is OK
20
21 root@dave-comp:~#
22 root@dave-comp:~# chkrootkit | grep chkproc
23 Checking `lkm'... chkproc: nothing detected
24 root@dave-comp:~#
25
26 I have even 'sudo install --reinstall chkrootkit' in case its binarys have
27 been modified (paranoid)
28
29 Running rkhunter shows no problems
30
31 I am at a bit off a loss and would value some advice / opinions. I can see two
32 possibilities
33
34 (a) I have a trojan, seems unlikely I am behind a netgear router firewall NAT
35 with no incoming ports open. Running nothing more than samba, ssh and unison
36 on the local network though I have to admit I have not hardened my system.
37
38 (b) Its a false alarm - it is called by /etc/cron.daily so a lot of different
39 scripts are called at the same time - though I have no idea what could have
40 caused it.
41
42 Any help / advice greatfully received
43
44 Dave
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list