From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] changed motherboard, no AHCI
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:48:42
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
3 > I've now successfully installed a new one,
4 > but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").
5 >
6 > The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
7 > which was necessary for the old mobo,
8 > but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
9 > The Ubuntu + Mandriva partitions start properly, as does System Rescue,
10 > so the problem has to be in the Gentoo kernel configuration.
11 >
12 > (1) Can I simply drop AHCI from the kernel or do I need to do something else ?
13 > (2) Can I recompile the kernel without going thro' a partial re-install
14 > or do I need to do a change-root etc to get it to work ?
15 >
16 > Can anyone advise ?
20 If you need to rebuild the kernel, try this. Boot into you other
21 distro, Mandrive or Ubuntu should work fine. You just need the chroot
22 command. Mount the Gentoo partitions just like you would during the
23 install. Just mount them tho, NO file system or disk formatting stuff.
24 ;-) Once mounted, just follow the chroot instructions just like in the
25 install. These are the current ones:
26
27 cd /
28 mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
29 mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
30 cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
31 chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
32 env-update && source /etc/profile
33
34 Once you are in there, cd to /usr/src/linux and make the needed changes,
35 recompile, copy the new kernel over, edit grub.conf if needed and then
36 reverse things so you can reboot. Don't forget to run env-update just
37 before exiting. Also, I sometimes have trouble unmounting some
38 partitions. Just unmount all you can before you reboot. I usually
39 can't get the dev and root ones unmounted. It appears that something
40 gets busy and can't be stopped. Your mileage may vary tho.
41
42 You should be able to reboot Gentoo and hopefully the new kernel will
43 work. Also, check into options you can add to the grub line when
44 booting. Remember, you can edit grub and change the boot process. I'm
45 assuming you are using grub instead of lilo.
46
47 Hope that helps.
48
49 Dale
50
54 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
55 how you interpreted my words!
56
57 Miss the compile output? Hint:
58 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"