From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with wireless on new install
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:32:52
1 On Wed, Jul 29 2015, Mick wrote:
2
3 > I think (but not sure) that L1 is a legacy power management feature of
4 > PCIe. LTR is a more dynamic, latency based, power management
5 > standard, which auto- adjusts the power on the device depending on how
6 > long it takes to wake up. L1 on its own would consume more of your
7 > battery (if it is a laptop), with LTR it would switch off the power of
8 > parts of the circuit so as to avoid exceeding the latency requirement
9 > of the device (not all devices take the same time to wake up).
10 >
11 > Could it be that MSWindows has set up on the hardware some aggressive power
12 > management setting, which Linux cannot wake up the device from?
13 >
14 > Two things I would try:
15 >
16 > 1. In Linux - modinfo <module_name>
17 >
18 > Check what options this gives and tweak the power settings accordingly
19 > as your modprobe it, or add it in /etc/modprobe.d/<module_name>.conf.
20 > Also check the relevant kernel documentation in case it gives more
21 > details.
22 >
23 > 2. In MSWindows - Device Manager
24 >
25 > Go into the Hardware/Device Manager and check the different tabs of
26 > the driver. Make a note of the original settings and then tweak the
27 > power settings so that the device does not go to sleep. Reboot into
28 > MSWindows (for good luck) and then boot into Linux.
29 >
30 > Eventually, a more up to date driver ought to deal with this, if all my
31 > suggestions fail.
32 >
33 > HTH.
34
35 It looks like I must have made a simple mistake, perhaps not pointing
36 network manager at the ssid of my router. All is well now.
37
38 thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.
39
40 allan