From: alain.didierjean@××××.fr
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 64-bit system?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:18:36
1 Selon Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
2
3 > I'm putting together a new system and I'm considering going 64-bit.
4 > Is the benefit of such a system pretty much speed? What are the
5 > drawbacks of using a 64-bit system with Gentoo?
6 >
7 None if you don't need Flash. On the other hand, I needed and used integers > 32
8 bits in only one occasion in a development.
9 As for speed: boy, those new processors (an amd 3800 x2 in my case) are fast...
10 as are their 32 bits equivalent.
11 64 bits register have been available on every workstations architecture for
12 years, but on Intel / amd. Return to the present.
15 ~adj~
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list