From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unexpected Power Loss!
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 02:53:25
1 There is a thermal safety setting in the kernel somewhere ... it used to
2 do this to me when a cpu heatsink came adrift ... but the cpu had to get
3 quite hot to trigger it (was on an Intel core2) so it was ok until it
4 tried to do real work ... instant off.
5
6 Try monitoring the temperature. Also, cpu thermal compound/tape can
7 lose its effectiveness on older PC's as well as the usual dust puppies
8 blocking cooling etc. Also, depending on how it is setup, Linux might
9 be running just enough hotter than windows to trigger it.
10
11 BillK