From: Henk Boom <lunarc.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Die, process! Die!
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:37:53
1 On 30/10/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I know my subject line is a little melodramatic, but this is really
3 > frustrating. I frequently have processes that killall doesn't kill and
4 > kill -9 <pid> doesn't touch. For instance, this is taken from top:
5 >
6 > 24135 root 16 0 229m 35m 1064 S 0.3 59.7 8:52.11 javadoc
7 >
8 > I have Cntrl+C on the emerge (five minutes ago) and I've issued multiple
9 > killall javadocs and kill -9 24135 and still it runs. Is there a way of
10 > getting rid of this process short of rebooting the machine?
11
12 I remember having troubles doing ctr-C on mounts which I knew were
13 going to time out, and I was told that you couldn't kill it while it
14 was inside a kernel call or something to that effect. Of course, I
15 would thing that mount is going to get tied up in kernel stuff much
16 more often than something like javadoc, so I really don't know if it's
17 the same sort of problem.
18
19 Hope this helps
20 Henk Boom