From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] who wants to downgrade my gcc ?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:23:23
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:46:59 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>> What does emerge --update --newuse --deep --tree --with-bdeps y
6 >>> @world
7 >>>
8 >>> actually say?
9 >>>
10 >
11 >> I'm not sure this is correct but I have to ask this. Since gcc is a
12 >> system package, it wouldn't try to upgrade gcc even if one was
13 >> available would it? I guess if something in world just had to have
14 >> that or a newer version then it would pull the newer gcc in but
15 >> otherwise it would skip it right?
16 >>
17 > @world includes @system. But the problem is not that emerge world is
18 > skipping it but that it wants to downgrade gcc:4.4.
21 From my understanding, world includes @system but @world does not. I
22 know here on my rig, I run emerge -uvDNa world and it updates everything
23 installed including deps and the system packages. If I run @world, it
24 skips the system packages. At least that is the last time I tried it
25 which was not to long ago.
26
27 One reason I remember this is because of the discussion I had with the
28 devs on -dev. That is why @system is in /var/lib/portage/world_sets. I
29 noticed a few weeks ago that there are a couple others added to it as
30 well. The devs did it that way so that when folks like me upgrade the
31 old fashioned way and just use world instead of @system and @world.
32
33 Has this changed?
34