From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel BUG
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:44:17
1 For about a week, my workstation has been crashing every day or so.
2 Typically it happens late at night while BackupPC is backing up a hard
3 drive. With "tail -F /var/log/messages" running I saw EXT3 mentioned a
4 few days ago and started suspecting a hard drive problem.
5
6 Last night it happened again. This time my "tail ..." window was
7 opened full screen so I saw all the messages and know more. Here's
8 part of what I wrote down (until I got tired of writing):
9
10 BUG unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000008
11 IP ffffff8027ce14 free_block+0xb4/0x160
12 PGD 11b638067 PUD 11b631067 PMD 0
13 Oops 0002[1]SMP
14 ...
15 Call Trace
16 8027cac0 cache_flusharray+0x60/0xe0
17 8027cc46 kmem_cache_free
18
19 I'm running a 2.6.25-gentoo-r7
20
21 To learn more about what's happening (and to more easily record
22 all the kernel messages), I'm now running "tail -F /var/log/messages"
23 from a second machine (via an SSH session).
24
25 Questions:
26
27 Is there a better way to capture the full BUG output???
28 Once I have the full BUG output, what's the next useful thing to do?
29
30 Thanks!
31
32 David