From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] motherboard died?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:32:26
1 Hi all,
2
3 A few weeks ago there was a discussion about audio interference when
4 running 3d applications.
5
6 Well mine kept getting worse (it didn't to it at all a month ago) until
7 I got fed up. I opened the side and (gently!) moved some of the power
8 cables away from the data cables to see if that was a cause of interference.
9
10 Well I did manage to reduce the noise by moving cables around but a
11 couple of minutes later the machine bombed out with a big oops that I
12 can't produce now.
13
14 I didn't think it was a big problem, I thought I had just pulled an hdd
15 cable a bit too hard or something.
16
17 Now however, the machine won't post or even power up. It is an Asus
18 Crosshair SKT AM2 nForce 590 SLI DDR2 which has a debug display on the
19 back panel.
20
21 As soon as you turn on the power to the motherboard, it displays "CPU
22 INIT" which is the very first stage. Now trying to turn on the machine
23 yields absolutely nothing, it just doesn't do a thing.
24
25 I have removed all additional devices, just leaving 1 hdd. I've also
26 reseated the CPU, RAM and all cables.
27
28 I can't see how I could have properly killed some hardware just by
29 moving a cable an inch to one side.
30
31 If anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful, I really don't want to have
32 to return parts, I should be working on stuff right now :(
33
34 Thanks
35
36 Matt