From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python, my nemesis
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:18:36
1 On Mon, 2021-09-20 at 14:50 +0200, Gerrit Kuehn wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'd like to update a system that is about 1 year old. I have python3.7
5 > and python 3.8 installed, 3.7 is the default. After updating the repo,
6 > it was suggested to update portage first (probably useful to support
7 > new EAPI versions).
8 > I read about updating to python 3.9, so I created
9 >
10 > ---
11 > ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.use/py
12 > */* PYTHON_TARGETS: -* python3_9 python3_8
13 > */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET: -* python3_9
14 > ---
15
16 You should probably not mess with these variables until after your
17 system is 100% updated and consistent. And even then, probably not.
18
19 With our package manager written in python, you often need old python
20 stuff to build the new python stuff, and disabling the old python stuff
21 will throw a wrench into that. Even in situations where technically
22 some upgrade path exists, the complexity of the python dependencies
23 often means that the package manager will give up before it finds the
24 solution unless the solution is obvious. By tweaking those variables,
25 you make the solution less obvious to it.