From: Christopher Copeland <chrcop@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:56:21
1 On 27 Nov 2007, at 10:19, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Hi All,
4 >
5 > I have noticed this problem when I try to connect to two different
6 > machines in
7 > two different continents. One is on cable (US) the other on ISDN ADSL
8 > (Greece). In the evening and sometimes weekends ssh connections
9 > from my
10 > laptop to these two PCs are either taking ages or time out. This is
11 > ssh
12 > connections to sshd which is listening to random ports in the 200+
13 > or 12000+
14 > ranges. If I eventually manage to connect the latency is ridiculous
15 > - up to
16 > 5 seconds! Sometimes I enter a passwd, if I can get that far and
17 > then wait
18 > for hours with no response. Eventually, I have to close the terminal.
19 >
20 > Tracerouting does not get through although some clever tcptraceroute
21 > strings
22 > may on occasions (intermittently) get through.
23 >
24 > Both servers run on domestic networks. BTW, ssh-ing to servers in
25 > datacenters
26 > with their big fiber-optic pipes, although relatively slow in peak
27 > times,
28 > always gets through.
29 >
30 > The strange thing is that there is no problem talking to these boxen
31 > while
32 > they run Google-Talk, it's only the ssh connection that seems to
33 > suffer.
34 >
35 > Have you come across such a problem before? How can I troubleshoot
36 > it? In
37 > this day and age of broadband connections it seems strange to get
38 > worse
39 > performance than on a dialup network . . . I mean I have run VNC
40 > connections
41 > over a 56k dial up with more responsiveness than this!
42 > --
43 > Regards,
44 > Mick
45
46 I've run across the same kind of issues on certain ISPs when using non-
47 standard ports for sshd. Given other connections (Gtalk) are working,
48 the first thing I would try in your position is to see if there is a
49 difference when using 22 versus your random port. With certain ISPs in
50 the UK I've found SSH connections to be unusable on anything but the
51 default port. Of course it has everything to do with the "smart"
52 traffic shaping at the ISP and there was nothing I could do about it.
53 --
54 Christopher
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list