From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: mail cannot send emails (trying to use it with smartd)
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 19:01:02
1 On 4/2/20 6:26 PM, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > though i'm a bit curious about sendmail (if your time allows).
3
4 Feel free to ask questions about sendmail. I'll do my best to answer.
5
6 > do you mean the ebuild "sendmail"? or the command "sendmail"?
7
8 In this context, ebuild as a reference to the MTA known as Sendmail.
9
10 > i used to think it's a swiss-army kind of tool (used to call
11 > "sendmail" in my cgi scripts decades ago without any infrastructure;
12 > by just directly zapping recipient's smtp gateway).
13
14 Yes, Sendmail can e a Swiss Army knife. That's one of it's advantages.
15 That's also one of it's disadvantages.
16
17 Your historic use of Sendmail is an example of using a local queuing
18 MTA. Your CGI scripts passed the message off to the queuing MTA and
19 didn't need to worry about what to do if the remote mail server couldn't
20 be reached. You didn't have to bother with detecting the error and
21 reporting it to the end user via the web form. You didn't have to
22 bother with storing information for later retry. The local queuing MTA
23 did all of that for you.
28 Grant. . . .
29 unix || die