From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with foomatic-filters and cups-filters?
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 17:10:45
1 Am Sonntag, 8. Juni 2014, 17:48:09 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
2 > . What is all this trying to tell me? I've tried for over an hour to
3 > make sense of it, but my eyes just glaze over. My best guess is that
4 > cups-filters and foomatic-filters are packages which can't be installed
5 > together. But I _need_ foomatic-filters - otherwise my printer doesn't
6 > print. Or do I? cups-filters seems to be needed by cups.
7 >
8 > What _are_ cups-filters and foomatic-filters? emerge -s is little help
9 > here. Why do I need both of them?
10
11 * cups-filters is a former part of cups that provides file format conversions
12 (among other things). Basically it (also) makes sure that everything is
13 internally converted to PDF. It's not part of CUPS (as maintained by Apple)
14 anymore, but hard-required by CUPS on Linux (and maintained by the Linux
15 Foundation).
16
17 * foomatic-filters is a set of printer drivers, basically.
18
19 * Some time ago the cups-filters maintainers took over maintainership of the
20 foomatic-filters part for CUPS as well, and integrated it cleanly into cups-
21 filters. That's the reason for the blocker; recent cups-filters contain the
22 newest foomatic code available. The former separate foomatic-filters package
23 is now unmaintained.
24
25 So, we have the following possibilities for installation:
26
27 1) normal CUPS user, recommended, this is what comes by default (unless you do
28 something stupid such as USE="-*")
29 net-print/cups
30 net-print/cups-filters[foomatic]
31
32 2) NOT recommended, dead code, unmaintained:
33 net-print/cups
34 net-print/cups-filters[-foomatic]
35 net-print/foomatic-filters
36
37 3) for the stone age people out there, NOT recommended, dead code,
38 unmaintained:
39 any other printing system, e.g. lprng
40 net-print/foomatic-filters
41
42 So, what's wrong in your case? No idea, but after longish not-updating things
43 do get hard for emerge to unravel. My recommendation is, since foomatic-
44 filters and cups-filters are only needed for printing and emerge runs fine
45 without them, force-remove both and let emerge figure out the right package
46 set from scratch.
47
48 [This basically works with any blocker as a last resort, but can be *very*
49 dangerous for packages that are needed by the core system. You definitely
50 don't want to remove gcc or glibc this way, for example. :)]
51
52 emerge -aC net-print/cups-filters net-print/foomatic-filters
53 emerge -uDNavt --backtrack=100 world
54
55 Cheers,
56 Andreas
59 Andreas K. Huettel
60 Gentoo Linux developer (council, kde)
61 dilfridge@g.o
62 http://www.akhuettel.de/