From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge xfce4 with installed lprng. :-(
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:24:05
1 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 >
3 > I think that now I understand about profiles, my original problem with
4 > cups/lprng fighting will melt away with a bit of editing.
5 >
6 > Thanks to all!
9 Just in case you are talking about editing the files in profiles, that
10 won't work long term. Keep in mind that each time you run emerge --sync
11 those files will be overwritten. It is not a good idea to edit anything
12 in /usr/portage since it will update when you sync again.
13
14 If you want to enable/disable features in the profiles, do that in
15 make.conf instead. That is where you put in your final wishes.
16 Example: cups is enabled as a USE flag in the profile and you do not
17 want cups enabled. Put -cups in your make.conf and it should be
18 disabled. The reverse is also true. If you want cups but it is
19 disabled in the profile, you can add cups to your USE line in make.conf
20 and it will be enabled.
21
22 Hope that helps.
23