From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Laptop ATI Integrated Video Performance?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:05:47
1 I have a Gateway laptop with an integrated ATI graphics board. lspci
2 detects it as:
3
4 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon
5 Xpress 1100 IGP]
6
7 However when attempting to view a DVD at full screen, the display is a
8 bit "jumpy" as if the video hardware is not fast enough. Keeping the
9 video smaller in a window produces much better results. As you might
10 expect, the larger the video picture, the worse the jumpiness gets.
11 Results are the same with both Totem and VLC.
12
13 I'm using x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.433 and have followed guides and
14 verified direct rendering is enabled (however I don't know if that
15 matters for displaying video).
16
17 Is this the best I can expect for this video hardware? I can post my
18 xorg.conf if there's a possibility that some tweak will improve performance.
19
20 Thanks,
21
22 Drew