From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from Lastpass to Bitwarden
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 08:01:31
1 Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 01:04, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Anyone have info on switching from Lastpass to Bitwarden? Thoughts?
4 > I'm in the same situation. I even paid for Lastpass in the past, back
5 > when you had to pay to get it on mobile, but the price I'm looking at
6 > now is way too high.
7 >
8 > >From what I read elsewhere, Bitwarden seems well regarded, and among
9 > the top choices for those choosing to switch now. I'd even be willing
10 > to pay for a service like this, but Bitwarden's basic paid tier, at
11 > only $10, doesn't seem to give me anything extra that would use.
12 > Still, good to know that I could support them for a much lower price
13 > than Lastpass.
14 >
15 > It's also a bonus that it's open source.
16 >
17 > People seem to find it really easy to switch, so at the moment I'm
18 > thinking about just moving all my passwords and having both for a bit,
19 > just to try it out.
20 >
21 > Regards,
22 > Arve
27 Since my post, I've created a account.  I even imported my passwords
28 from Lastpass which wasn't hard at all.  So far, it works fine.  Heck, I
29 may even pay for the small plan.  I don't mind paying a little for
30 something but Lastpass doesn't offer any features in the paid plans I
31 needed in the past.  The only reason I'd consider it with Bitwarden,
32 it's open source. I've donated to a couple addons that I use a lot in
33 Firefox as well.  I'm just a little picky is all.
34
35 One thing I thought of, keep Lastpass installed on Seamonkey and just
36 update the passwords as needed.  Some passwords I only change once a
37 year or so anyway.  I can get the new password from Bitwarden, go to
38 Seamonkey and update Lastpass directly or while logging in.  Either way,
39 it should work and I'd only be using Lastpass in Seamonkey which means
40 one device type and even one device period.
41
42 I suspect a lot of users are going to be moving from Lastpass because of
43 this change.  If their service was far better then people may pay it.
44 Thing is, it isn't.  As was pointed out in a couple things I read, they
45 have been hacked in the past.  What was taken was encrypted but still,
46 they got hacked.  Bitwarden is open source which means a lot of eyeballs
47 looking at the code.  For that reason, or a good part of it, it has
48 never been hacked.  It seems that with the Lastpass changes, Bitwarden
49 will offer for free what Lastpass doesn't and be more secure as well.
50
51 I like how these password managers work.  I've read that even if a court
52 order is served to Lastpass, Bitwarden or others that work the same way,
53 all they get is encrypted files.  Unless they can crack it, it does them
54 no good.  It's one reason I like using them.
55
56 I figured if Bitwarden had any serious problems, I'd hear from someone
57 pretty fast.  As I continued to research it, I just couldn't find
58 anything recent that was bad.  Some say it is a little cludgy and all
59 but at times, I want to strangle Lastpass.  On a few sites, it just does
60 not want to auto-fill or fill at all until I force it to by doing a lot
61 of clicking and selecting.  I've had a site or two where I had to go to
62 the vault and copy the password and then paste it in manually.  I don't
63 like having passwords in my clipboard.  Sort of negates having a good
64 password tool.  ;-)
65
66 If anyone has some info on it, I'm listening.  I'm sure someone here
67 uses Bitwarden.
68
69 Thanks.
70