From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:06:56
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:07:41 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 2012-01-11 3:56 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:04:01 -0500
6 > > Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 > >> http://passwordmaker.org/
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > I haven't read the site yet, but just on the basis of your
11 > > description, all I'm seeing is a teeny-weeny amount of entropy
12 > > leading to passwords that are very easy for computers to compute.
13 > >
14 > > The algorithm is probably known and there can't be that many unique
15 > > attributes to a URL, leading to a very small pool of random data.
16 > >
17 > > In fact, I see this as a distinct possibility:
18 > > http://xkcd.com/936/
19 > >
20 > > Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
21 >
22 > You are wrong, but you'll need to read the site to learn why...
23
24 The site doesn't say much. It has one page, no internal links (quite a
25 few external ones) and a single link to an image.
26
27 But still, one can infer some of the methods of operation. There's a
28 master password and a few bits of easily guessable[1] entropy in the
29 additional data the user can configure.
30
31 It has one weakness that reduces it back to the same password being
32 re-used. And that is that there is a single master password. An
33 attacker would simply need to acquire that using various nefarious
34 means (shoulder surfing, social engineering, hosepipe decryption) and
35 suddenly you are wide open[2].
36
37 I don't see that it increases cryptographic security by very much (it
38 does by a little) but it will increase real-life effective security by
39 a lot. It removes most of the threat from shoulder-surfing and
40 StickyNoteSyndrome (much like ssh agents do too). In a corporate
41 environment[3], that is the major threat we face, the onbe that keeps
42 me awake at night, the one ignored by all security auditors and the one
43 understood by a mere three people in the company... :-(
44
45 [1] Easily guessable by a computer
46 [2] I have my paranoia hat on currently
47 [3] for example, mine
50 Alan McKinnnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com