From: Alejandro <elcorreodeale@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:18:07
1 2009/1/20 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
2
3 > On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > > I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
5 > > machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
6 > > Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
7 > > FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
8 > > got a decent hard drive (160GB).
9 > >
10 > > I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
11 > > getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
12 > > used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
13 > > nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
14 > > like TuxRacer.
15 > >
16 > > I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
17 > > OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
18 > > package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
19 > > would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
20 >
21 > if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than
22 > xfce+openoffice.
23 >
24 > And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the time
25 > and
26 > you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster. It
27 > does not need less ram nor does it run faster.
31 "installing ooo from source is unsupport" How is this? Maybe you
32 missundertand i think he run emerge openoffice and not openoffice-bin