From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE (mono to meta) migration
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:42:02
1 On Thursday 22 June 2006 18:28, James wrote:
2 > have looked at threads on this issue from 12jun06
3 > and 2jun06
4 > and http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml.
5 > By the way, this doc is good for explaining the issues,
6 > but does not explain a clear method to perform the migration
7 > form mono to meta......
8
9 Did you look at [1] too?
10
11 > Is there an easy way to remove all of the kde packages before
12 > migration to kde-meta?
13
14 Sure. But it would remove packages that the meta packages depend on too.
15 kde-base/kdelibs takes a long time to compile and hence shouldn't be removed
16 as you still need it. Unless of course you need to upgrade it anyway. This
17 might be feasible:
18
19 #cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva `ls -d kde-base/* | grep -v -r 'kdelibs\|arts'`
20
21 It will remove everything in the kde-base category except kdelibs and arts.
22 Make sure to check what it removes before doing it. It shouldn't be more than
23 13 packages.
24
25 [SNIP]
26
27 > But if meta
28 > is going away, like the monolithic kde packaging (eventually)
29 > I'd rather go straight to the split kde package system.
30 > Comments and Recommendations on kde-meta's future?
31
32 Why would you think the kde-meta aka the split packages would be going away?
33 They certainly won't.
34
35 > emerge -atv kde-meta
36 > lists many packages and I'm too lazy to remove them all by
37 > hand....
38
39 Actually there aren't a lot of monolithic packages. [1] lists them all in a
40 box in section 2. If you have all of them you still need to remove only 13
41 packages.
42
43 > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
44 > Calculating dependencies... done!
45 >  .[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5* (is blocking
46 > kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.2) .[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5* (is
47 > blocking
48 > kde-base/kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data-3.5.2)
49
50 This tells you that kde-base/kdemultimedia blocks both kaboodle and
51 kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data. You only need to remove the one package
52 kdemultimedia. It just blocks a lot of packages that are pulled in by
53 kde-meta.
54
55 [SNIP]
56
57 > From mono to split? Some gentoo/kde systems I manage will want
58 > to go to the split system or a few kde-meta packages and the
59 > rest of the kde(split) apps individually installed.
60
61 Do what I said above or just remove the few packages manually when they block
62 something. There really aren't that many. emerging any split package will
63 work just as well as the meta packages. You should only use the meta packages
64 if you wan't everything.
65
66 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml
69 Bo Andresen