From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Some possibly (?) helpful hints re the big gnome-3.8 update
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 01:31:37
1 First and foremost, thank you Canek.
2
3 On Tue, Jul 30 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4
5 > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
6 >
7 >> I am a gnome-3 user, who wants to continue with gnome-3.
8 >> [ I described my current state--beginning of wiki ]
9 >
10 > Sounds reasonable.
11 >
12 >> [ I asked about /etc/mtab and /proc/self/mounts
13 >
14 > If you switch to systemd, you will need to make /etc/mtab a symlink to
15 > /proc/self/mounts.
16
17 Done.
18
19 >> After that comes the big one
20 >>
21 >> emerge systemd
22 >> USE="... systemd ..."
23 >> emerge --newuse ... [ a change from previous msg ]
24 >> /etc/init.d/udev restart
25 >>
26 >> Can the system be rebooted at this point (I realize init will still not
27 >> use systemd) or must the entire conversion (including changing init) be
28 >> completed before the system is bootable? I am hoping it is the former.
29 >
30 > If you reboot [now], I don't believe there is any chance your system
31 > will boot up correctly.
32
33 I see.
34
35 > /etc/init.d/udev is installed by sys-fs/udev; sys-apps/systemd doesn't
36 > provide anything similar.
37
38 I don't understand. *After* installing systemd (and setting the USE and
39 executing the emerge --newuse ...), the wiki tells you to
40 /etc/init.d/udev restart
41 Emerging systemd unmerges udev so how can I do the restart?
42
43 > I recommend installing everything necessary (and uninstalling
44 > everything that is not) before trying the reboot.
45
46 How far do I have to get in the wiki? I am hoping to do smaller chunks
47 so that if I have to back out a step (using a bootable CD) to restore
48 "bootability" to the system, it won't take too long.
49
50 In particular do I have to switch init to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
51 before I can boot.
52
53 I know you have had systemd installed for a long time. Did you always
54 have the init= line or were you for a while running openrc with systemd
55 installed?
56
57 > Also, I would do the whole shebang in a one step, removing all the
58 > masked packages you did. You can try to boot to multi-user.target
59 > instead of graphical.target, if you want to test that systemd works
60 > correctly independently of GNOME.
61
62 I am not so worried about gnome coming up. If the system boots and I
63 can get the 6 text terminals, I can survive for quite a while with emacs
64 and gnus.
65
66 Again thanks for the help.
67