From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dual booting with Windows 10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 04:15:55
1 On Monday, September 18, 2017, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Monday, 18 September 2017 05:17:34 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > On Thursday, 14 September 2017 19:51:37 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
7 > > >> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Peter Humphrey <
8 peter@××××××××××××.uk>
9 > > >
10 > > > wrote:
11 > > >> > On Thursday, 14 September 2017 05:09:14 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
12 > > >> >> The trickiest part is still the same - going from GRUB or, now,
13 your
14 > > >> >> EFI shell, to Window's bootloader. See here:
15 > > >> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Chainloading_
16 Windows.2FLin
17 > > >> >> ux_
18 > > >> >> ins talled_in_UEFI_mode.
19 > > >> >
20 > > >> > That advice, though helpful, is about Grub, which isn't installed
21 on
22 > > >> > this box. I did try at first to get it to work here, but failed,
23 so I
24 > > >> > removed it and went for bootctl. It's a fiddle to keep up to date
25 > > >> > with
26 > > >> > kernel upgrades, but at least it works.
27 > > >>
28 > > >> In that case it seems like systemd-boot will check for the Windows
29 > > >> loader and add it to its menu automatically
30 > > >> (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-boot#Adding_
31 boot_entries)
32 > > >> .
33 > > >> As above, you may need to reinstall it if the Windows bootloader
34 > > >> installs itself on top of systemd-boot.
35 > > >>
36 > > >> I originally thought you were just booting an EFI stub kernel, in
37 > > >> which case you would have needed some kind of boot manager.
38 > > >
39 > > > I have three questions now:
40 > > >
41 > > > 1. Will Windows 10 install itself in the unpartitioned space?
42 I've
43 > > > attached a screen shot of gparted to show the current layout.
44 > >
45 > > Yes. It will split the free space into a number of partitions if you
46 > > give the installer no further instruction besides selecting the
47 > > unallocated area.
48 >
49 > That's what I was hoping to hear - thanks.
50 >
51 > > To force Windows to use one partition delete the ones it creates
52 > > automatically. You will need to select "custom" or "advanced" in every
53 > > place it is offered as an option.
54 > >
55 > > > 2. What will happen to the UEFI kernel entries in /dev/nvme0n1p1?
56 > >
57 > > When people say "entries" they are usually referring to settings in
58 > > the nonvolatile memory used by a motherboard's EFI firmware. An entry
59 > > associates with an ID a path, priority, and name which is used to
60 > > start the corresponding EFI executable.
61 >
62 > I mean the things that "bootctl status" displays. I've already disabled
63 the
64 > unwanted ones in the UEFI BIOS's list of bootable kernels, but bootctl
65 still
66 > shows them and won't remove them.
69 Having checked bootctl's documentation it should be changing EFI variables
70 (it may manage kernels also, I am not entirely sure). Are you sure this
71 isn't related to the bug Mick mentioned? If it is then I am unsure why
72 efibootmgr works.
73
74 Now it's fixed (by using something else) and I can't expect you to care,
75 but I am left perplexed.
76
77 > > The actual kernels on /dev/nvme0np1 will remain there because Windows
78 > > won't touch that partition unless you tell it to.
79 > >
80 > > > 3. Those entries include some left over from experimenting with
81 > > > other distros. How can I manage the entries and purge the ones I don't
82 > > > need? "Bootctl remove" ignores them.
83 > >
84 > > If you are referring to the kernels left in your /boot then simply
85 > > delete them. "Bootctl remove" and other EFI boot managers I have seen
86 > > refuse to touch your disk. They operate on the EFI configuration
87 > > memory.
88 > >
89 > > > Thanks everyone for your help so far.
90 > > >
91 > > > I don't want to install into a VM, because my main reason for
92 installing
93 > > > Win10 is to be able to run an occasional firmware update program, none
94 > > > of
95 > > > which, it seems, run on Linux. Of course, it should also help me get
96 up
97 > > > to speed with the M$ world.
98 > >
99 > > If you pass an entire hard disk to the VM you can then take it out and
100 > > put it in another computer and boot it (or boot it in the same
101 > > computer sans hypervisor).
102 >
103 > Maybe that's a use for a couple of spare SSDs I have here.
104 >
105 > > With Linux you can pass partitions in individually and use what the
106 > > guest thinks is a raw character device as a disk, so that if you
107 > > wanted to boot that installation from outside of the hypervisor you
108 > > could. This might not be possible with Windows.
109 > >
110 > > If you install into a VM you can pass almost everything to the VM
111 > > directly. I suppose the only thing that may not work extremely well
112 > > would be motherboard firmware updates, but if you look QEMU has
113 > > options to pass almost everything in a computer to a VM. Admittedly
114 > > this isn't a very plug-and-play solution.
115 > >
116 > > Aside from firmware updates (realize though that almost everything -
117 > > barring some low level interfaces like I2C - can be passed to a VM) I
118 > > would invite you to use Windows only in a VM. I find it easier to get
119 > > work done in this way while using Windows programs. Xfreerdp is a good
120 > > way to interact with a Windows guest and can provide better desktop
121 > > integration than QEMU or libvirtd.
122 >
123 > I use VirtualBox here, mostly because some BOINC projects require it.
126 Fair enough.