From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: "top" for disk access
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:46:29
1 Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
2
3 > is there a top-like utility that can tell me what processes are doing
4 > the most disk reads/writes?
7 bonnie and bonnie++ might help
8
9 eix bonnie
12 > Sometimes my disk will go crazy, and my system slow down. I usually
13 > know its updatedb, or something similar, but sometimes I have no idea
14 > why.
17 Lots of possibilities on these sort of questions. There is a fantastic
18 network monitoring tool that monitors all sorts of system performance
19 issues, call 'jffnms'. It's in portage, but, masked at the moment. It's
20 a bit daunting to get happy, but well worth the effort. I'm waiting
21 for it to stablize on gentoo. It was very difficult to get happy under
22 debian, the last time I hacked at it for a client.
25 http://dev.gentoo.org/~angusyoung/docs/jffnms/docs/jffnms.html
26
27 hth,
28 James