From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 15:05:33
1 On 4/26/20 10:23 AM, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 >>
3 >> That looks a lot like a linear programming problem, but package versions
4 >> are discrete. So ignoring all of the details, it's believable that we
5 >> have an integer programming problem, which is NP-complete.
6 >
7 > i'm dumb, and don't fully understand this, but i
8 > think i found something interesting:
9 >
10 > [1] http://www.aimsciences.org/article/doi/10.3934/jimo.2014.10.557
11 >
12 > i wonder, can gradient descent be used to find
13 > optimal portage solution? didn't read beyond the
14 > abstract in [1], but from the abstract it seems
15 > doable (i.e. integer programming solvable by
16 > gradient descent). anyone please correct me if
17 > i'm wrong.
20 I think something like this is the right approach in the long run. Right
21 now, portage is using a bunch of heuristics in a totally unprincipled
22 way to find a solution that works.
23
24 If we can turn the dependency resolution problem into some abstract
25 mathematical form, then solving it becomes "not our problem," and we can
26 reap the benefits as new theoretical techniques are incorporated into
27 the existing solvers (you wouldn't want to write your own).