From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Google's public DNS service
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 03:04:23
1 looks interesting ...
2
3 I think many ISP's use DNS to manage/direct traffic internally so will
4 this bypass or break parts of their network for the google DNS user?
5
6 off the top of my head, the explanations I have seen give a reasonable
7 approach to security of your footprints as you travel the Internet - but
8 what they don't say is what happens if a legal entity requests the data
9 - all bets are off then I think.
10
11 Google is a data aggregator - they already have your emails if even one
12 of the respondents you send to use a google a/c (and you may not even
13 know if there are redirects to a google a/c for a user) - how much more
14 do you want them to know? They know your search requests and have
15 access to data from many other sources as well - google toolbar
16 anyone :)
17
18 On the other side of the coin, they (and their partners) already pool a
19 huge amount of information in such a way as to be almost impossible to
20 avoid and use the Internet at all productively so I think your only
21 protection is to be very careful what you say and do in public and
22 private communications as you just do not know who is listening.
23
24 If you are using something like Tor to muddy your tracks, could using
25 google DNS give enough clues to hobble Tor? - not sure. Though they
26 (Tor) must have covered this I think.
27
28 Note that I am not thinking "security" organizations here - though I
29 think google and their competitors must be a data source too good to
30 ignore, but commercial services like targeted advertising, SPAM and
31 other objectionable practices. Its not small scale data collection (one
32 company) data collection that concerns me, but googles global reach and
33 aggregation of data.
36 Billk